The U.S. State Department has told Cuba it deplores last week's "assault" on blogger Yoani Sanchez, one of the toughest of several expressions of support for the Havana writer.
Sanchez and fellow blogger Orlando Luis Pardo said they were beaten Friday by presumed state security agents to keep them away from a "march against violence." Blogger Claudia Cadelo and another woman were detained in the incident, but without violence.
"The U.S. government strongly deplores the assault," said a State Department statement issued late Monday. "We have expressed to the Cuban government our deep concern . . . and we are following up with inquiries to [the three bloggers] . . . regarding their personal well-being and access to medical care."
Sánchez's husband, Reynaldo Escobar, told El Nuevo Herald she's walking with a crutch and taking medicines for a backache, the result of being thrown head-first into a car and punched in the back by the three men in plainclothes who detained her for 20 minutes. There was no word on Pardo's health.
Never miss a local story.
Cuba's government-controlled mass media has made no mention of the incident, which received wide coverage abroad because of Sanchez's fame as the prize-winning author of the blog Generación Y, which regularly criticizes the ruling system.
"The Cuban authorities are using brute force to try to silence Yoani Sanchez's only weapon: her ideas," said José Miguel Vivanco, head of the New York-based Americas section of Human Rights Watch. "The international community must send a firm message to Raúl Castro that such attacks on independent voices are completely unacceptable.
"This brazen attack makes clear that no one in Cuba who voices dissent is safe from violent reprisals," Vivanco added.
To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.