Wichitans love eating out. That's a fact few would dispute.
But Wichitans also love drinking out. And in. And everywhere.
If you're tempted to dispute that fact, just take a look at the growing number of wine and beer dinners, tastings and events put on all year round in Wichita. Then have a drink.
This week, I'm starting a new page on my blog, Dining With Denise, dedicated to keeping track of all things wine and beer in Wichita.
Never miss a local story.
I'll update it regularly so that fans of wine, beer and spirits can have a quick place to check for what's coming up.
I'm introducing it this week by printing some information I've gathered so far. I called around and gathered the latest on wine and beer events in local restaurants and bars, and I listed several food-beer-wine charity events that are already on the books.
As a bonus, I've printed a sampling of some of the special wine discounts offered at area liquor stores.
You can help by letting me know of any wine and beer news you come across. I'm looking for tastings, dinners, events — even clubs that have formed. You can e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can find this new feature by visiting www.blogs.kansas.com/dining and clicking on the "Wine and Beer Events" tab at the top of the page.
WINE & BEER EVENTS
* Auburn Sprits at Rolling Hills Country Club, 223 S. Westlink Drive, 7 p.m. Thursday. "An American Wine Tasting." Six wines plus light hors d'oeuvres, $15. Call 316-440-1111 by Tuesday for tickets.
* Oeno, 330 N. Mead, 316-440-5000, 7 p.m. July 30: "Flavors United" featuring four courses and three wine pairings, $35. Call for reservations. Oeno puts on wine dinners the last Saturday of every month.
* Gaslamp Grille, 550 N. Rock Road, 316-260-1432: Aug. 4. "Sparkling Social," featuring sparkling wines. Details TBA.
* Carrabba's, 3409 N. Rock Road, 316-315-0777, Aug. 17: Wine sampling featuring five to six wines paired with five to six small plates, $35. Carrabba's puts on wine tastings the third Wednesday of every month. Call for reservations.
* Auburn Spirits at Rolling Hills Country Club, 223 S. Westlink Drive, 6:30 p.m. Aug. 19: Spanish wine dinner, details TBA. Call 316-440-1111 for tickets.
* Hangar One Steakhouse, 5925 W. Kellogg, 316-941-4900, 7 p.m. Aug. 24: Four courses paired with four wines, $40. Hangar One usually puts on wine tastings the third Wednesday of every month but moved August's back to avoid the first day of school. Call for reservations.
* Newport Grill, 1900 N. Rock Road, 316-636-9555, 7 p.m. Sept. 13: Leopold Bros. winery wine dinner featuring five courses and five wine samples, $65. Call for reservations.
* Gaslamp Grill, 550 N. Rock Road, 316-260-1432, Sept. 20, Tallgrass Brewing Co. beer sampling. Details TBA.
WINE AND BEER CHARITY EVENTS
* Botanica Alfresco , 7 p.m. July 29, Botanica, 701 Amidon: Food, cocktails and music are the centerpieces of this fundraiser, which benefits the gardens. Tickets are $100. Reservations due by Tuesday at 316-264-0448 or www.botanica.org.
* Uncork a Wish , 6 to 9 p.m. July 30, Grace Hill Winery, 6310 S. Grace Hill Road, Whitewater, 316-799-2511. Wine tastings from Grace Hill Winery, hors d'oeuvres, live music and a silent auction. Fundraiser for Make-A-Wish Foundation of Kansas. Tickets $100 a person. RSVP at RSVP@gracehillwinery.com or 316-799-2511.
* Zoobilee , Sept. 10: Annual Sedgwick County Zoo fundraiser features food from dozens of local restaurants plus samplings of wine, beer and spirits, all stationed throughout the zoo. Tickets available through Aug. 1 at www.scz.org.
* Midwest Beerfest , Oct. 14-15: This annual event, put on by the Wichita chapter of the American Institute of Wine and Food, offers beer dinners and an afternoon of beer sampling at Century II. Information TBA.
* Wichita Wine Opener , Oct. 20: This national wine tasting series, which is put on in more than 30 cities, benefits the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. It'll feature wine, food from local restaurants and shopping. Tickets are $50, $65 for a VIP ticket. It's from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Abode Venue, 1330 E. Douglas. Tickets available at
* Palette to Palate, tentative date Feb. 11, 2012, location TBA. A wine- and food-focused party and fundraiser for KETCH.
* Midwest Winefest: Next year's wine tasting event is scheduled for April 19-21, with the grand tasting April 21 at Century II. It raises money for the Guadalupe Health Foundation.
WINE DISCOUNT DAYS *
ABC Liquor, several Wichita stores: 20 percent off wine on Wednesdays
Auburn Hills Liquor, 1547 S. 151st St. West, Goddard: 20 percent off wine on Tuesdays
Davis Liquor, several Wichita locations: 20 percent off wine on Thursdays. During the month of July, though, all wine is 20 percent off every day.
Goebel, 352 S. West St.: 20 percent off wine on Tuesdays
R & J Discount Liquor, 3015 E. Douglas, 10 percent off wine on Mondays and Tuesdays
* Discount is good on regular priced wine only at most stores.