The fish schooled the competition again.
Sockeye picked up seven medals at the awards ceremony held earlier this month, including two golds. It seems Sockeye’s Power House Porter wins every year. Also firing on all cylinders was The Ram Restaurant & Brewery, which carted off four medals. The North American Beer Awards are held annually in conjuction with the Mountain Brewers Beer Fest at Sandy Downs Race Track in Idaho Falls. Judging was based on set style guidelines and done through six blind tasting sessions.
Worth noting: For the first time, Boise’s 10 Barrel Brewing Co. was recognized separately from its Bend, Ore., operation. (Which makes me happy.) And Grand Teton’s really, really good Gose won gold. Nice.
Never miss a local story.
Below is the list of Idaho breweries that won medals. And here’s the full list of NABA winners.
▪ 10 Barrel Brewing Co.: P2P, Gold, American-Style Stout; Dark Hyde, Silver, Cascadian Style Dark Ale
▪ Boise Brewing: Seven Crane Cream Ale, Silver, Cream Ale
▪ Edge Brewing Co.: Odelay Vienna Style Lager, Gold, Vienna Lager; Imperial Red Ale, Bronze, Double/Imperial Red Ale
▪ Grand Teton Brewing Co.: Brett Saison, Silver, Sour Ale with Brettanomyces; Farmhouse, Silver, Barrel-Aged Strong Beer; Gose, Gold, Specialty and Experimental Beers
▪ Idaho Brewing Co.: Idaho Black Lager, Gold, Scharzbier; Idaho Bavarian Hefeweizen, Bronze, Bavarian-Style Hefeweizen
▪ McCall Brewing Co.: Tanglefoot, Bronze, English-Style Old Ale
▪ MickDuff’s Brewing Co.: Idaho Arm Curl Lager, Silver, American-Style Standard or Premium Lager; Gold Stout, Silver, Hybrid Style Beers
▪ Ram Restaurant & Brewery (Boise): Bottle Rocket Helle, Bronze, Helles Lager; Owyhee Oktoberfest, Bronze, Marzen-Oktoberfest Lager; Gordo Big Pumpkin, Bronze, Pumpkin or Pumpkin Spiced Beers; Ground Hogs Revenge, Silver, Barrel-Aged Beer
▪ Salmon River Brewery: The Big DIPA’h, Silver, English-Style India Pale Ale
▪ Sawtooth Brewery: Sunnyside Session Wheat, Gold, Wheat Ale
▪ Sockeye Brewing: Sockeye Maibock, Gold, Traditional Bock; Power House Porter, Gold, Brown Porter; Lonesome Larry, Silver, Helles Lager; Gernika XXV, Bronze, Baltic-Style Porter; Hell-Diver Pale Ale, Bronze, Strong Bitter ESB; Lightning Creek White IPA, Bronze, Belgian-Style India Pale Ale; Sour Puss, Bronze, American-Style Wild or Sour Ale
▪ Woodland Empire Ale Craft: Cozy Up, Silver, Sweet Stout