It’s lucky 13 for Boise Baroque Chamber Orchestra. The group landed renowned violinist Rachel Barton Pine for its 13th season. She will perform with Boise Baroque Chamber Orchestra in March.
This marks the renowned violist’s sixth time in Boise and second engagement with Boise Baroque. A favorite of local audiences, she last played with this chamber group in 2013 for its 10th anniversary.
Pine is a rare and unconventional artist. A true virtuoso, she can soar on a concerto and shred with her heavy metal band Earthen Grave. She also can fiddle like the devil and play the heck out of “Happy Birthday” (see the video below).
In March, she will play Locatelli’s Violin Concerto in D and Vivaldi’s Concerto for Viola d’amore.
Never miss a local story.
Viola d’amore is a Baroque-era instrument that is similar to a violin, yet even sweeter and warmer in sound. Pine’s playing of it is spellbinding.
Other season highlights include Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in February and Vivaldi’s “Gloria” in October with the Boise Philharmonic Master Chorale.
Boise Baroque also will join Ballet Idaho for its “Winter Repertory” concert, playing Bach’s Double Violin Concerto for the company’s performance of Balanchine’s “Concerto Barocco” at 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 10, and Saturday, Feb. 11, 2017, at the Morrison Center.
Boise Baroque Chamber Orchestra 2016-’17 season
Performances are at 8 p.m. Fridays and 2 p.m. Sundays at the Cathedral of the Rockies, 11th and Hays streets, Boise.
▪ Oct. 7 & 9: Vivaldi and the Boise Philharmonic Master Chorale: Tartini Sinfonia in D; Handel’s “Royal Fireworks Music;” Thompson’s Alleluia; Vivaldi’s Gloria.
▪ Nov. 18 & 20: Mozart and More: Copland: Appalachian Spring Suit for Chamber Orchestra; Mozart’s Sinfonia Concertante for Winds and Orchestra.
▪ Feb. 3 & 5: Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto No. 3: Albinoni’s Concerto in A Major.
▪ March 3 & 5: Rachel Barton Pine: Locatelli’s Violin Concerto in D; Vivaldi’s Concerto for Viola d’amore; Beethoven’s Romance in G Major.
▪ April 29 & 30: The Genius of Haydn: Symphony No. 47 in G Major; “Mass in Time of War.”
Season: $115 general, $95 senior (62 and older); Individual: $23-$28; Free for 17 and younger with a paying adult or $10 rush tickets at the door for high school and college students with student ID. BoiseBaroque.org.