UPDATE: Woman recants claim of Boise Greenbelt sexual assault

newsroom@idahostatesman.comJune 9, 2014 

A woman who reported a sexual assault early Sunday morning beneath the Broadway Bridge has recanted, Boise Police detectives said.

Boise Police detectives plan to forward their reports to prosecutors to review for possible charges of filling a false police report, which is a misdemeanor, according to the Boise Police Department.

The police department said in a release that it wants "to thank citizens for their concerns but to emphasize that the evidence, including the individual's own admission, points to no sexual assault occurring in that area overnight and there are no outstanding suspects."

The woman had previously told police that she was walking on the Greenbelt around 2:20 a.m. Sunday when an unknown man attacked her, but she was able to get away.

"Boise Police investigators hope news of isolated cases like this do not deter other victims of sexual assault from reporting potential crimes," the department said. "Boise Police have developed effective policies and protocols with community partners like hospitals, counselors and victim advocates to provide investigative services as well as emotional support and counseling to those who have been the victim of an unwanted sexual attack."

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service