The Ironman 70.3 Boise is Saturday (and so is the one-mile Capitol Classic running race in Downtown Boise). The Ironman 70.3 begins with a 1.2-mile swim at Lucky Peak Reservoir. Racers will then hit the bicycle course before finishing the race with a half-marathon run on the Greenbelt to Julia Davis Park.
The race will result in a number of road closures and other traffic restrictions and detours throughout the day. Below is information from the Ada County Highway District and Ironman 70.3 Boise organizers:
The ACHD is working with Ironman 70.3 Boise organizers, along with Boise Police, the Ada County Sheriffs Office, the Idaho Transportation Department and others to prepare for the road closures necessary to make the event possible. Citizens not involved in the Ironman event are urged to prepare and take alternate routes. Detour routes will be in place for the closures, and drivers should use caution. Local law enforcement and event volunteers will be stationed along the course and will help residents get in and out of businesses and residences during the event.
Along the cycling course, there will be impacts to areas including Columbia Village, South Eisenman Road, Bown Way, Warm Springs Avenue, Boise Avenue and Bergeson Street and Federal Way where cyclists will be sharing the road with vehicles.
From the Ironman Boise website
Idaho City is open for business
Vehicles traveling to Idaho City will experience a delay on Highway 21 between Grand Forest Drive and the Diversion Dam.
Cyclists will be traveling both directions on Highway 21 between 12:20 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Please exit Columbia Village via Amity or Federal Way. Highway 21 between Technology Way and Diversion Dam will be east travel only. Please drive slowly.
South Eisenman Road
Cyclists will be traveling both directions on South Eisenman Road from 12:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. An officer will direct vehicles as they join the flow of bicycle traffic traveling north. Please look for cyclists coming from both directions. Follow the officers directions at Gowen and Eisenman roads, as it is a right turn only at Gowen Road. The Outlet Mall and the freeway interchange at Federal Way is open. The Eisenman freeway interchange is closed.
Cyclists will be turning onto Bown Way from Warm Spring Avenue using the left lane. An officer will be present to direct residents of the Riverwalk neighborhood across the race course. However, please proceed with caution.
Warm Springs Avenue
Cyclists will be traveling northwest in the left lane on Warm Springs Avenue. Vehicles utilizing the same path will see some delays. Vehicles traveling southeast will be routed onto Barber Road and down the center lane of Warm Springs Road, where police marshals will direct any traffic needing to turn west onto Eckert Road or into the Idaho Shakespeare Festival. Please use caution.
Boise Avenue and Bergeson Road
Cyclists will be traveling on Boise Avenue from Bown Way onto Holcomb Road and East Bergeson Street between 2 p.m. and 5:45 p.m. The cyclists will occupy the northernmost lane traveling west. Boise Avenue between Bergeson and Bown Way will be closed to northbound traffic. Neighborhoods south of Bergeson Street can exit either east to connect with Boise Avenue and travel south to Amity Road, or they can exit west to Federal Way. Neighborhoods on the north side of Bergeson Street must exit north onto Boise Avenue and East Linden Street. Broadway Avenue is open to vehicular traffic. Residences of East Meadow Park, off Yorktown Way and Serene Drive, can contact Boise Police Officer Kyle Christensen at 208-703-1487 for assistance and escort into and out of their neighborhood. The Holcomb exit will be closed.
Cyclists will be riding north on the far right lane of Federal Way from Bergeson to Capitol between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.. The southbound and left northbound lanes will be open.
· Capitol Boulevard from Protest Avenue to Myrtle Street: closed from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
· Capitol Boulevard from Protest Avenue to River Street: closed from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
· Capitol Boulevard from University Drive to River Street: closed from 11 a.m. to 12 a.m. (midnight)
· I-84 freeway Interchange at Eisenman Road: closed 12:40 p.m. to 5 p.m.
· S. Eisenman Road from I-84 to the Factory Outlet: closed 12:50 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.
· Pleasant Valley Road from Gowen Road to Ten Mile Creek Road: closed 1 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.
· Ten Mile Creek Road from Pleasant Valley Road to S. Cole Road: closed 1:20 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
· Federal Way and S. Capitol Boulevard from Protest Road to University Drive: closed from 1:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
· S. Capitol Boulevard from University Drive to River Street: closed from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
EXPECT DELAYS AND DETOURS
· Highway 21 from Lucky Peak Dam to Warm Springs Avenue: delays between 12:20 p.m. and 2:20 p.m.
· Highway 21 from Warm Springs Avenue to Technology Way: detour through Grand Forest Drive from 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
· Highway 21 from Technology Way to the Diversion Dam: lane impacts; expect delays between 12:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
· Bown Way from Warm Springs Avenue to Boise Avenue: expect delays between 2:10 p.m. and 5:45 p.m.
· Boise Avenue from Bown Way to Holcomb Road: expect delays between 2:15 p.m. and 5:45 p.m.
· Federal Way from E. Bergeson Street to Protest Road: open 2:20 p.m. to 6:10 p.m.
· Gowen Road from S. Eisenman Road to Pleasant Valley Road: westbound traffic only between 12:50 p.m. and 4:45 p.m.
· Warm Springs Avenue from US Highway 21 to Bown Way: northbound traffic only between 2 p.m. and 5:40 p.m.
· Holcomb Road/Bergeson Street from Boise Avenue to Federal Way: eastbound-only traffic allowed between 2:15 p.m. and 6 p.m.