Star Fire captain: Electrical short caused house to fill with smoke Sunday

newsroom@idahostatesman.comApril 27, 2014 

A Star woman didn't suffer any injuries Sunday when her home filled with light smoke due to an electrical short underneath her house, a Fire Captain Chris Head said.

Firefighters were called to a house in the 11000 block of West First Street at 11:46 a.m. It was reported as a structure fire with a possible victim. The woman had an oxygen tank.

An electrical short in the electrical cord of a space heater in the crawl space under the house ignited a small tarp, causing the house to fill with smoke. But there was no damage to the house.

Firefighters got the woman outside, and she was checked out by paramedics. She was treated and released. Power to the house was cut off while firefighters investigated, but it has since been restored, Head said.

Head said firefighters were able to clear the scene within an hour.

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service