Murder arrest could solve 2007 mystery of Idaho City man

An Idaho City man is accused of killing his friend more than six years ago, and the victim's family expresses relief.

krodine@idahostatesman.comMarch 14, 2014 

It was after Christmas in 2007 when Steven Kalogerakos disappeared from the Idaho City home he shared with a longtime friend.

That friend, Michael S. Dauber, was arrested Wednesday night and charged with first-degree murder, Boise County Sheriff Ben Roeber said Thursday.

The first major step in the case came about five months ago, when Kalogerakos' body was found in the Idaho desert an hour or so from Idaho City, said his sister, Maria Kalogerakos. He had been shot, she said.

Evidence found by investigators and witnesses who came forward helped build a case against Dauber, she said. According to the charges against Dauber, the killing occurred on Dec. 27, 2007.

News of the body's discovery was never publicized, even in Thursday's news release about the murder arrest.

Roeber revealed no details about the case, but did say that Dauber's arrest "is the culmination of an investigation that has occurred over the past six years involving the Idaho City Police Department, Boise County Sheriff's Office, Idaho State Police and the FBI."

Dauber, 45, was taken into custody in Nampa and booked into the Canyon County Jail shortly before 10 p.m. Wednesday on a hold for Boise County. He is charged with first-degree murder, failure to notify authorities of a death, and use of a deadly weapon during a felony. A preliminary hearing is set for March 24.

Maria Kalogerakos of Norridge, Ill., said the recent news has come as a relief.

She said their mother held out hope until Steven's body was found that he might be alive, but Maria said she has long believed that her brother was dead.

She said her last telephone conversation with Steven came on Christmas Day 2007, just before he disappeared.

"He said he was going to talk to Mike Dauber about something, and that was the last I heard," she said.

"We were a very close family. The minute he didn't call me on New Year's, I automatically knew he was gone."

Steven Kalogerakos, 42 when he disappeared, was "a really good guy" who planned to start working for a window-cleaning business in January 2008, Maria said.

He and Dauber moved from Chicago to Idaho together in 1994, she said.

"They were very good friends," Maria said.

In 2000, Steven Kalogerakos moved back to Chicago, but Dauber convinced him to return to Idaho City in September 2007, Maria said. Her brother was staying at Dauber's house, she said.

Maria Kalogerakos said she plans to come to Idaho for Dauber's trial. She said the family looks forward to the case being resolved so they can bury Steven's remains, which are now evidence.

"It's been a long time coming," she said.

Kristin Rodine: 377-6447

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service