Freezing rain and slick roads closed schools in Parma today, but the Boise, Meridian and Caldwell school districts will operate on a normal schedule today. Pleasant Valley Road near the state prisons south of Boise was shut down due to a downed power line, but it was re-opened by noon.
Several inches of snow fell in Idaho City overnight, and emergency dispatchers said it was still coming down at 7:15 a.m. A winter weather advisory for freezing rain is in effect for the Treasure Valley until 1 p.m. Freezing rain and snow began falling in the Boise area just before midnight Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service.
About .15 inches of precipitation fell between midnight and 6 a.m., according to meteorologist Valerie Mills. The temperature at the Boise Airport was 32 just before 7 a.m.
"At 8 a.m., I think we'll be above freezing," she said. The rain is expected to continue until about noon, and the forecast high for today is 40.
Here's a running list of crashes and blockages:
- 4:44 a.m. Idaho 95 at milepost 10 (Marsing Port of Entry is at milepost 18). Two semi trucks collided. Southbound lanes of the highway were still closed at 6:30 a.m.
- 5:48 a.m. One car crash at on Interstate 84 at milepost 36.
- 5:51 a.m. One car crash on westbound Interstate 84 at milepost 76. No lane blockages.
In Ada County
- 5:35 a.m. Two cars were involved in a crash on Cloverdale and Kuna-Mora roads. Reported injury crash.
- 7:06 a.m. Crash on westbound Connector at Garden City exit.
"It really hasn't been as busy as we were gearing up for," a dispatcher said.
In Boise County
- 4:30 a.m. Rollover crash at milepost 80 on Idaho 55 (near the county line for Boise County and Valley County). Non-injury crash.
In Elmore County
- Emergency personnel are responding to several crashes on Interstate 84 between east Boise and Hammett.
In Canyon County
- A dispatcher said there have been a few crashes before 7:15 a.m. but nothing serious.
Check back for updates throughout the morning.