Want to bring a little good cheer into a friends life for various occasions scattered over the New Year? Heres our list of nine mini-gifts that will make everyone healthier and happier.
1. Walnuts. Eating 12 halves daily may increase lifespan 20 percent. And munching six halves 30 minutes before mealtime is an effective way to control appetite.
2. Chocolate with 70 percent cacao. One ounce daily may cut heart attack and stroke risk 30 percent while preventing some cancers.
3. Coffee. Your daily dose (three cups) can cut stroke risk by 30 percent and may help prevent some cancers, Parkinsons disease, Alzheimers disease and Type 2 diabetes.
4. Wine. Drinking one glass a day can boost good HDL and reduce lousy LDL.
5. Garlic goodies. Garlic-infused olive oil and a garlic press deliver an immune-boosting, heart-healthy flavor.
6. Jump rope, pedometer and exercise bands. Nothing relieves stress, lowers heart disease risk and protects against diabetes like exercise.
7. Lavender aromatherapy oil. Give the gift of sleep; sniff the scent for 20 minutes before bedtime. Then, sweet dreams!
8. Thank-you notes. Expressing gratitude improves everyones happiness quotient.
9. Our newly revised YOU: The Owners Manual. Your friends can discover all our secrets for a long, happy, healthy life. Our book is also available in most local libraries.
Mehmet Oz, M.D., is host of The Dr. Oz Show, and Mike Roizen, M.D., is chief medical officer at the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute. To live your healthiest, visit sharecare.com. Distributed by King Features Syndicate, Inc.