Brian Stroschein suffered serious burns when a propane tank in his utility trailer blew up Friday morning near Grangeville, said Boise resident Shari Stiles, who works with Stroschein's wife, Kathy.
Stroschein was listed Saturday morning in critical condition at the University of Utah Burn Center in Salt Lake City, a hospital spokesman said.
A spokeswoman with the Idaho County Sheriff's Office in Grangeville said the incident, which occurred before 7 a.m. Friday, was handled as a medical call and the sheriff's office did not have any details.
Kathy Stroschein told Stiles that her husband had burns on more than 75 percent of his body and third-degree burns on his hands and face.
Stroschein works as an engineering manager at Hewlett-Packard's Boise operation.
"I do know him, not real well, but I have worked with his wife and have known their kids and grandkids for the last 11 years. He is a really nice guy," Stiles said.