Update: Faulty wiring blamed for fire that destroyed Boise market, apartment

sdeter@idahostatesman.comDecember 12, 2013 

Investigators believe faulty wiring is to blame for a two-alarm fire Wednesday night in Boise.

The Manna Market at 7905 W. Ustick Road, and an apartment in the basement of the building that the market shares with two other businesses, were destroyed.

In addition to the market, which sells Asian products, the building above also houses The Frame Joint — an eyeglass frame shop — and the Ustick Hair & Beauty Salon.

The apartment's resident, an adult male, reported the fire at 10:17 p.m. He reported that several lights went out, then he reset the breaker and the fire began shortly afterward. He was able to get out safely.

Fire crews arrived to find that flames coming from the apartment had extended to the exterior patio and up into the market directly above.

Firefighters stopped the fire before it could damage the frame shop and salon.

A representative of the Boise Fire Union Burnout fund helped the apartment's resident with immediate needs.

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service