4A state soccer roundup: Middleton girls, Mtn. Home boys advance in thrillers

dsouthorn@idahostatesman.comOctober 25, 2013 

CALDWELL — Eighty minutes of regulation was not enough. Neither were two 10-minute overtime periods. Five penalty kicks? Nope.

On the first day of the 4A state soccer tournament at Brothers Park on Thursday, the Middleton girls and Mountain Home boys advanced after sudden-death wins following even scores on penalty kicks.

The Bishop Kelly girls remained unbeaten with an 8-1 rout of Wood River, giving District Three a trio of teams in Friday’s semifinals.


MIDDLETON 1, TWIN FALLS 1 (Middleton wins 3-2 on PKs)

It’s about as pressure-packed a situation as a soccer player can face, but the Vikings and coach Lisa Pennington felt calmly confident.

After Middleton and Twin Falls each made two penalty kicks in the first round of five shooters, it went to sudden-death — and Middleton sent senior Audrey Dias to take the biggest shot of the year.

Dias kept it low and tucked it inside the left goalpost, just out of the reach of Bruins keeper Allison Simmons.

Senior goalkeeper Maddie Brown was up next, to face Twin Falls’ Lindsey Williams, who scored the team’s lone goal. Brown stuffed Williams’ shot, and the Vikings swarmed her in celebration.

“We had two seniors right there that stepped up. … When seniors get to this point of their season, big things happen,” Pennington said. “Those are the moments we try to prepare for. You hope when they get that chance to step up, they do — and they did.”

The Vikings (14-3-3) had chances to end it in regulation when rebounds were sent over the crossbar on consecutive possessions in the final minutes.

Brown made five saves in the first overtime, keeping the Vikings alive.

“It would’ve been a lot easier to not have played 20 extra minutes and then penalty kicks — we like to make it interesting,” Pennington said.

Brown had 13 saves. After her biggest stop, she lay on the turf for a second as the gravity of the situation hit her.

“It was just relief, really,” Brown said.

Terrika Nelson got the Vikings’ lone goal two minutes into the second half, but Williams responded five minutes later on a header that glanced off Brown’s fingertips as she jumped for a ball. Nelson and Allie Brocke made their penalty kicks to help pave the way for Dias and Brown to close it out.

Middleton draws Sandpoint in Friday’s semifinals.


The Knights scored in the first minute, and the rout was on.

Five players notched goals, with Raquelle Mouw and Cameron Coyle scoring a pair each. Maddie Minnaert, Alyssa Stewart and Christina Godhino added a goal apiece for Bishop Kelly (19-0-1), which will meet Century in the semifinals.


Kennedy Yost had a pair of goals and added an assist for Century, which also got a goal from Ellen Mann in its shutout. Samantha Chamberlain had four saves for the Wildcats (10-8-3).


MOUNTAIN HOME 2, PRESTON 2 (Mtn. Home wins 4-3 on PKs)

The smallest player on the Tigers’ roster came up big.

As his team was knotted 3-3 with Preston after the Indians missed their seventh penalty kick attempt, sophomore Jacob Lukes, all 5-foot-2 and 110 pounds of him, buried his shot past Preston’s Dalton Lloyd to win it for the Tigers.

“I was shaking, my legs were shaking, but I just thought to myself, ‘It’s just like practice,’ ” Lukes said. “It wasn’t exactly where I wanted it to go, but he dove the wrong way. I’m feeling good now.”

Mountain Home (14-5-2) goalkeeper Jake Richelieu saved some of his best saves for last, as he stopped a pair of Preston penalty-kick attempts with his foot — while diving headfirst.

“I zoned everything else out,” Richelieu said. “I sometimes didn’t do it perfectly, but had to use everything I could to stop it.”

The Tigers’ Keko Sanchez headed in a deflection off Lloyd with five minutes to play, sending the game into an extra session, then another, then to seven turns of penalty kicks.


Wood River’s Miguel Velasco helped send it to overtime on a goal with less than five minutes to go to tie it 2-2, and Zach Miczulski’s second goal in overtime won it for the Wolverines.

Emmett (10-8-2) opened the scoring on a Raul German goal in the 11th minute, then Andrew Graves evened it 11 minutes later after Emmett goalkeeper Andres Alvizo mishandled a ball.

The Huskies’ Kevin Solis appeared to make it 2-1 two minutes later, but he was called off-sides. Miczulski took advantage of Alvizo being out of position early in the second half to make it 2-1 in the Wolverines’ favor, but Braulio Ramirez answered when his corner kick was deflected by Wood River into its own net for a 2-2 tie. Ramirez made it 3-2 with five minutes to go, but Velasco quickly answered to knot it up again.

“We had them … we didn’t have the effort to finish three more minutes, our defense wasn’t marking the way it’s supposed to,” said Emmett coach Aristeo Alviso, whose team faces Preston on Saturday.


Alberto Vidaca scored in the 11th minute Thursday, and it was all the Tigers needed.

Caldwell, which averaged three goals a game, could not punch one in, and Omar Gonzalez’s rocket with five minutes to go went over the crossbar, proving to be the Cougars’ last threat on net. The Cougars (13-5-2) will play Century on Friday in the consolation bracket.

“You never win a soccer game with a zero on the scoreboard, you’ve got to put one in and we didn’t,” Caldwell coach Rhys Yeakley said. “They scored that one goal and just put a whole ton of defenders back there, like a wall. We had our opportunities though.”

Dave Southorn: 377-6420, Twitter: @IDS_southorn

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service