Lamp in gerbil cage may have caused fire that burned down trailer near Caldwell

October 14, 2013 

A 26-foot camper trailer that a couple were living in was totally destroyed by fire Sunday night, according to Caldwell Fire Battalion Chief Brad Carico. No one was injured in the fire, but several pets died.

The fire was reported by the residents of the trailer at about 10:36 p.m. The trailer was in a park at 21860 Towns Circle, northwest of Caldwell and just outside city limits.

The residents were eating at one end of the trailer, and the fire occurred at the other end.

"They heard a big boom and fire came down the hallway — that's what they told us," Carico said. The couple exited out the door.

Carico said the couple had numerous pets, including gerbils. All escaped the fire except for the gerbils.

Fire officials say the cause of the blaze was electrical — possibly a lamp in the gerbil cage. Middleton Fire Chief Brad Trosky, who is investigating, said it's unclear if the lamp was for heat or light; the bulb was missing.

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service