Victims of funeral crash in Boise recovering

One woman is released from the hospital; family is confident young child’s condition.

sdeter@idahostatesman.comOctober 9, 2013 


    The Hobson family released the following statement Tuesday evening:

    “The Hobson family wishes to express sincere gratitude for the continuing outpouring of love and support.

    “We continue to ask for prayers on behalf of the injured for a speedy recovery, as well as the driver and his wife.”

A family grieving one relative won’t lose others after a terrifying incident Monday in Boise.

Friends and family had just attended the funeral for 68-year-old June Hobson of Boise at a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints stake center at West McMillan Road and North Shamrock Avenue when chaos ensued.

As up to 70 people gathered outside the church and prepared to go to the cemetery, a car plowed into the crowd. Nine people, including a little boy, were taken to the hospital.

An 86-year-old friend of June Hobson was behind the wheel. His wife was with him in the Toyota sedan, and she was among those hurt.

Three people suffered serious injuries.

June Hobson’s son, Brad Hobson, said Monday that the 5-year-old boy — the grandson of Brad’s uncle — was run over. Both of his legs were broken, and he also suffered a head wound.

Brad Hobson’s sister, Kimberly Haddon, suffered a concussion and a broken thumb.

And Karen Darrington, a six-time winner of the IGA women’s amateur golf tournament in Idaho, suffered a skull fracture and bleeding on the brain.

Family and friends breathed a collective sigh of relief Tuesday amid encouraging developments in the conditions of those three.

Haddon was released from the hospital Tuesday in time to attend her mother’s interment — which was delayed from the day before — said her brother, Travis Hobson.

He said the 5-year-old boy had surgery Monday night on both legs and an ankle. The child’s grandparents said he will make a full recovery, Travis Hobson said.

Also, he said, Darrington’s condition was upgraded. She was moved out of intensive care Tuesday and into a regular room for observation.

The other six people injured have all been treated and released, Boise police spokeswoman Lynn Hightower said.

“We feel pretty fortunate that things worked out the way they did,” Travis Hobson said.

Investigators are still trying to figure why the car accelerated. The driver had been struggling to get the car into gear when it accelerated without warning, Brad Hobson told the Statesman on Monday.

The driver’s name has not been made public, but it will be if he’s cited, Hightower said. The possibility of charges remained as the investigation progressed, according to Hightower.

Whatever happens, Travis Hobson made it clear that the family is supporting the man. Travis Hobson’s father went to talk to him Tuesday.

“We still love him,” Travis Hobson said. “We wish no ill will on the poor man.”

Sean Deter: 377-6450; Twitter: IDS_Deter

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service