Boise family displaced by fire

Statesman staffOctober 2, 2013 

No one was hurt Wednesday afternoon in a house fire on Georgetown Avenue in Boise.

PROVIDED BY THE BOISE FIRE DEPARTMENT

A West Boise family was not able to stay in their house Wednesday night after it sustained heavy smoke damage from a fire that apparently started in the kitchen, Boise officials said.

Firefighters were called at 3:13 p.m. by neighbors who saw smoke coming from the back of the house. The home is in the 2500 block of South Georgetown Avenue — east of Five Mile Road and between Victory and Overland roads.

Upon arrival, crews said the kitchen was fully involved, and flames were reaching into a second-story bedroom. Firefighters attacked the flames quickly, and the fire was controlled by 3:42 p.m.

In addition to extensive smoke damage, the kitchen and floor joists above it sustained heavy fire damage.

No one was found inside the home, and the family dog was safe. However, the family's cat had not been located.

A representative from the Boise Fire Union Burnout Fund was helping the family with immediate needs.

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service