Skyview picks up first victory, tops Kuna

Jaxon Pryor, Hawks spoil Kuna’s party with 56-26 win.

rroberts@idahostatesman.comSeptember 14, 2013 

KUNA — Jaxon Pryor was denied once on first-and-goal in the fourth quarter.

Deny him again?

Not likely.

The senior running back proved hard to contain in the red zone, bruising his way to 113 rushing yards and three touchdowns in Skyview’s 56-26 victory over Kuna on Friday night at Kuna High.

Pryor scored all three of his touchdowns in the second half to help the Hawks pull away for their first 4A Southern Idaho Conference victory of the season.

“It all starts with the O-line, so I have to give a shout out to them,” Pryor said. “I trust that if I run behind them that I am always going to get a touchdown.”

It wasn’t all downhill for the Hawks in the first half.

Kuna took a 20-13 lead after the first quarter, spurring raucous cheers from packed stands on Kuna’s side of the stadium. The Kavemen scored three touchdowns in the first quarter, and each was celebrated with fireworks set off from the southeast corner of the field.

“We knew that there would be a lot of emotion, a lot of adrenaline,” Skyview coach David Young said. “Coach (Lee) Leslie and Kuna, they put on a college atmosphere, and I told the kids that. I didn’t want them to come out whooping and hollering and screaming and yelling. I just wanted them to get to work. This was a business game for us.”

Skyview got down to business in the second quarter when senior quarterback Anthony Marin found Hagen Graves for a 46-yard touchdown pass to tie the game at 20-20.

Marin then connected with Holton Hyde on a 5-yard score to put the Hawks up 27-20 just 43 seconds before the break.

“I have trust in all my receivers,” said Marin, who completed 20-of-29 passes for 269 yards and three TDs. “I get to throw to a lot of different people that didn’t necessarily get the ball a lot last year.”

Skyview scored six unanswered touchdowns spanning the second through fourth quarters, and nearly had a second-half shutout if not for Ben Ruwe’s 14-yard TD pass to Zach Cronk with 15 seconds left in the game.

“We went one step forward and two steps back tonight, and it’s really frustrating because they are ready to round the corner,” Leslie said. “The whole community is ready for it and we just didn’t do it.”

Rachel Roberts: 377-6422, Twitter: @IDS_VarsityX

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service