Open houses on Boise bond draw 62 visitors

Boise - The Idaho StatesmanAugust 27, 2013 

The 38 written, emailed and telephoned comments that city staff documented on Boise's bond proposal don't form enough of a sample size to draw conclusions from, Adam Park told the City Council on Tuesday.

Mayor David Bieter's spokesman sounded disappointed with the turnout at last week's open houses on Bieter's proposal to borrow $34 million for public safety improvements, open space purchases and new and improved parks in the Central and West Bench areas.

Bieter himself, as well as a few members of the council, said they were actually encouraged that 62 people took the time to visit the open houses. Councilwoman Lauren McLean compared that response favorably to the apparently total lack of interest in Boise's budget hearing.

Of the documented responses, 22 were in favor of the entire $34 million package, Park said.  Two were opposed. Two suggested removing the $10 million for open space purchases, and one suggested removing parks investments. The rest were neutral comments and questions.

Park said the possibility of splitting up the bond into three -- one for open space, one for public safety, one for parks -- separate bonds was a frequent theme of questions and comments.

If the council votes to bring the bond to an election, the city has through Sept. 16 to submit its ballot language, according to the Idaho Secretary of State.

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service