Meridian man arrested after numerous attacks Wednesday

jsowell@idahostatesman.comAugust 22, 2013 

— A 23-year-old Meridian man allegedly went on a drug-fueled rampage through a downtown neighborhood Wednesday morning, committing a spate of crimes during at least six separate incidents over a two-hour period.

Sean Daniel Carnell is accused of punching a 15-year-old boy in the face and stealing his skateboard, yelling at a 10-year-old boy and kicking the youngster's dog in the ribs and leg, hitting a construction worker in the face and back with a shovel, going into an apartment and strangling a 36-year-old woman, kidnapping a 45-year-old man in a wheelchair and then tipping him over and breaking windows out of a house.

Officers from the Meridian Police Department located Carnell within seven minutes after the first 911 call and took him into custody without incident, Deputy Chief Tracy Basterrechea said. He was taken to the Ada County Jail, where he is being held on charges of robbery, burglary, felony and misdemeanor counts of battery, two counts of aggravated assault and malicious injury to property.

Carnell is being held on $1 million bond. He was arraigned Thursday and is scheduled to appear Sept. 5 for a preliminary hearing before Fourth District Ada County Judge Daniel Steckel.

It's one of the oddest cases he's ever seen. Most incidents of that nature are confined to a single act of violence, usually between people who know one another, Basterrechea said. Each of the attacks were unrelated to the others, he said.

"You just don't see random acts of violence like this. He wanted to beat up everything and everyone that he could," Basterrechea said.

Police suspect Carnell was under the influence of drugs. They won't know for sure until blood tests come back in a few weeks.

The first incident occurred at about 9:30 a.m. at the skateboard park at Tully Park, 2500 N. Linder Road. The teenager, who was hit several times, didn't immediately report the attack to authorities. It was only after he went home and spoke to his mom later in the day that police were contacted.

It's believed Carnell then attacked a bicyclist who was pedaling on the bike path that runs near the park. Doug Strosnider, Nampa deputy fire chief, said the cyclist was Nampa Fire Capt. Chris Cade, one of the department's peer fitness trainers and rope rescue technicians. Cade suffered "numerous and significant injuries," Strosnider wrote. A woman walking on the path found Cade unconscious and he was taken to a hospital for treatment, said Basterrechea.

"I think the injuries were serious enough that he could have died," Basterrechea said.

Basterrechea said Thursday that he did not know the man's condition but was told his injuries were not life-threatening. He faces a long and slow recovery, however, Basterrechea said.

Anyone who may have witnessed that attack or saw any other incidents involving Carnell is asked to call Meridian detectives at 888-6678.

Carnell allegedly continued to Northwest Eighth Street and Delmar Drive, where he approached the 10-year-old boy riding his bike. He reportedly kicked the dog and walked away.

Next, he proceeded to an apartment complex where he had been staying in the 1300 block of Northwest Eighth Street. Carnell allegedly struck the construction worker outside the building and left him in a trench.

Police said Carnell then forced his way into an apartment and attacked the woman who lives there. The victim's teenage daughter and her boyfriend interrupted the attack and Carnell fled. The victim called 911. The call, placed at 10:53 a.m., was the first notification to police.

Carnell then approached the man in the wheelchair and told the victim he was coming with him. Carnell pushed him down the street and then tipped him over in the 1100 block of Eighth Street.

As police officers headed toward the apartment complex where the construction worker and the resident were attacked, a second 911 call, from a group of construction workers, said they had located the suspect and watched as he broke out windows at a home on Eighth Street.

"They stayed back. They were good witnesses. They didn't try to step in and confront the suspect," Basterrechea said.

Carnell was taken into custody in the 700 block of West Pine Street. Basterrechea said he was cooperative with officers and obeyed their commands.

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service