BOISE — Boise firefighters extinguished a small fire in a concrete enclosure where lions are kept overnight at Zoo Boise Friday morning.
The fire apparently started when an electric fan plugged into the wall shorted out and ignited, according to spokeswoman Lynn Hightower. Firefighters put the flames out with a fire extinguisher.
Authorities first said that the fire was in a public viewing area, but later corrected their report. Light smoke did filter into a glass-enclosed viewing area above the lion exhibit, Hightower said. Firefighters evacuated zoo patrons as a precaution. The viewing area and the room with the fire are not connected or adjacent.
The room was not damaged by the fire. No people or animals were injured by the blaze.