Burning weeds lead to significant damage to Boise home

Statesman staffJuly 31, 2013 

A chain reaction started by an ember from burning weeds caused significant damage to a Southwest Boise home Wednesday afternoon.

The resident of a home on the 6700 block of Southdale Avenue reported the fire just before 4 p.m. Firefighters arrived to see flames coming from the side of the home as well as its attic.

The home's resident told investigators he had been using a propane weed burner to burn weeds on the property. He left the home, thinking the flames had been completely extinguished. When he returned a short time later, he saw the fire.

Investigators said it appears an ember ignited dry grass, which spread fire to a wood pile, then to the house, and finally into the attic before firefighters could knock down the fire.

Much of the home's contents were salvaged, but half the roof was destroyed.

The Boise Fire Union Burnout Fund is assisting the homeowner. To learn more about the Burnout fund or to make a donation, go to http://fire.cityofboise.org/burn-out-fund/.

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service