Boise Fire investigators say that a fire on Saturday evening displaced four families who live in a four-plex in the 2200 block of S. Amy St. in South Boise.
Investigators say it appears a hot lamp in a snake cage started the fire.
Crews were called to the scene at about 7:15 p.m. Saturday after the report of a fire in a closet in an upstairs unit of the four-plex. While they were on their way to the scene, firefighters saw a column of dark smoke coming from the area and immediately called for a second alarm.
When they arrived they found fire had spread into the attic of the four-plex.
Firefighters were able to put the fire out within about 15 minutes, but all four units suffered fire, heat, smoke or water damage.
No humans were injured. The snake in the cage where the fire started died. Several other pets besides the snake lived in the complex. None of the other pets were harmed.