Toys "R" Us and Babies "R" Us integrated store will have its grand opening in The Village at Meridian this Friday through Sunday.
At 50,000 square feet, the store is part of a strategy by the retailer to pair its toy and children's shops. The company closed its Toys "R" Us at 131 N. Milwaukee St. in Boise, which opened in 1989, and the Babies "R" Us at 1200 N. Eagle Road in Meridian, which opened in 2003, and combined the stores into the Meridian location.
The store will employ about 55 people, including 45 who worked at the former standalone stores. It is located at 2070 N. Eagle Road, Meridian.
The grand opening activities include:
- Appearances by costumed characters, including Geoffrey the Giraffe, Strawberry Shortcake and Plex from Yo Gabba Gabba!, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday
- Appearance by the Spider-Man character, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday
- Arts and crafts starting at 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Friday.
- Story time at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday
- Giveaways including Toys "R" Us and Babies "R" Us branded lunch bags, coloring books and crayons
"Whether guests are shopping for must-have toys for the kids in their lives, or products for the more than 5,000 babies born in Ada County each year, this new side-by-side store will provide parents with both a convenient shopping experience and great values," said Troy Rice, executive vice president of stores and services for Toys "R" Us Inc.
The second phase of the Villages development is the "town center," which will add about 600,000 square feet of upscale restaurants, cinema and retail shops and 150,000 square feet of office space. A grand opening for that phase of the project is planned for October.