Have a voice in where recreation funds are spent


0523 out reclede

User fees pay for many improvements at recreational sites.

PETE ZIMOWSKY — pzimowsky@idahostatesman.com

Here's a chance to put your mouth where your money is.

The Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation is accepting applications to fill vacancies on grant advisory committees.

The state agency gets a lot of money every year from user fees for its various programs, and the grant advisory committees or citizen panels help decide where it gets spent.

Much of the money comes from things like boat, snowmobile, ATV and RV registrations. Federal money also contribute to the mix.

Some of these boards have members who represent different regions of the state and others represent certain user groups for the whole state.

There are numerous positions open on different boards, including:

• RV Advisory Committee - Two positions. This committee decides how RV registration money is spent to acquire, purchase, improve, repair and maintain RV facilities and sites.

• Recreation Trail Program - Two positions - one equestrian representative and one bicycle representative. This group decides how nonmotorized trails funds get spent to acquire, purchase, improve, repair and maintain trail facilities and sites.

• Waterways Improvement Fund - Two positions. This group decides how boater registration money gets spent, including the promotion of safety, waterways improvement, creation and improvement of parking areas for boating purposes, making and improving boat ramps and moorings, marking of waterways, search and rescue and including purchase of property for boat-related purposes of boating facilities.

• Off-road Motor Vehicle - Three positions. This is where ATV, dirt bike and snowmobile registration money goes.

This panel decides how to acquire, purchase, improve, repair, maintain, furnish, and equip off-road motor vehicle facilities and sites or areas used by off-road motor vehicles on public or private land.

Funds are also used to assist with the enforcement of laws and regulations governing the use of off-road vehicles in the state of Idaho.

Committee member terms are for three years, and members are required to attend meetings during the year with travel expenses reimbursed.

Applications must be received by June 28. Check out details at, parksandrecreation.idaho.gov and look at "Latest News."

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service