A teen doing homework was among those who alerted emergency crews to a two-alarm house fire Wednesday afternoon at 4774 W. Pennfield Place, near McMillan Road.
"I was extremely frightened," said Kaylynn Schutte, 17, who was visiting neighbors when the fire broke out. "It was huge."
The likely cause of the blaze? A cigarette.
Boise fire investigators believe that a cigarette left in a flower pot outside the home in the front entry area ignited dry peat moss and other debris in the pot.
Firefighters worked quickly to keep the blaze from spreading further into the attic, and damage was contained to the front of the house, Boise fire Battalion Chief Jim Gross said.
Officials said damage was extensive enough that the two adult males who live in the home can't stay there, officials said. They declined relief services.