Terror suspect Kurbanov's former employer 'shocked' by arrest

Fazliddin Kurbanov will stay in a Boise jail while he awaits trial on federal charges.

cmsewell@idahostatesman.comMay 22, 2013 

The owner of a construction-related business said Fazliddin Kurbanov worked for him for several months last year before quitting to attend truck-driving school.

He told the Statesman that Kurbanov was quiet and kept to himself; he did not talk about religion or politics. He said he has not seen or talked to Kurbanov since he quit.

"I have nothing to do with him. I have no connection. I have no relationship with him," said the owner, who asked the Statesman not to identify him or his business because of safety concerns.

The business owner, who came to the U.S. more than a decade ago from Eastern Europe, said he was upset to learn that Kurbanov might have come to this country to cause harm.

"I am here to help America … and to raise my kids in a nice country," he said. "I pay my bills. I pay my taxes. I support soldiers. I support local police.

"I don't know why he got to come to this country. These people are coming for a different reason. They are not here for good reasons or peaceful reasons. Why do they get to come here?"

Kurbanov, an Uzbek national charged in Idaho and Utah with supporting the al-Qaida-linked Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan, waived his right to a detention hearing Tuesday, speaking through a Russian interpreter in Boise federal court.

Kurbanov, 30, came to Boise in August 2009 as a refugee.

A federal grand jury in Idaho indicted him on terrorism-related charges Thursday, the same day he was arrested after a morning raid at his apartment complex.

The indictment alleges that between August 2012 and May 2013, Kurbanov conspired to provide material support to the IMU. That indictment also claims that he possessed a bomb.

A grand jury in Utah simultaneously indicted Kurbanov for allegedly conducting training on how to make bombs and weapons of mass destruction.

Federal officials said that they closely monitored Kurbanov during the investigation and that any potential threat has been contained.

He will be transferred to Utah after the case in Idaho concludes.

Cynthia Sewell: 377-6428, Twitter: @CynthiaSewell

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service