Barbecue ashes ignite house fire

May 13, 2013 

— A house fire that did extensive damage to a north Boise home Sunday night was determined to have been started by ashes from a barbecue, according to the Boise Police Department.

Firefighters responded to the Hallmark Court home at about 11:30 Sunday night. The first responders saw smoke and flames coming from the roof of the house and called a second alarm. The fire was extinguished before it spread to any neighboring buildings, but the house was badly damaged, officials said.

An adult male in the house was taken to a local hospital for evaluation. No one else was hurt, police said.

The fire started outside the house, near a trash can that had been used to dispose of hot ashes from a barbecue.

The Boise Fire Department cautioned residents to remember to get rid of hot ashes safely. Ashes should be disposed of in a lidded metal container, and never in nor near a building. After the ashes have been in the metal container for a week, they can be safely thrown away.

"With the outdoor cooking season in full swing we all need to be aware,” said Boise Marshal Romeo Gervais. "Proper disposal of hot ashes has to be planned out safely ahead of time."

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service