A Nampa home was seriously damaged in a fire Friday morning, but all the occupants are safe, according to Deputy Fire Chief Doug Strosnider. The cause of the fire was determined to be a 4-year-old boy in the home playing with a lighter. His 5-year old brother and mother were both inside the house when the blaze started, but all three escaped unharmed.
The Nampa Fire Department was able to extinguish the structure, a duplex at 1206 S Fern St, by 10:30 a.m. Damage to the other residence in the duplex appeared minimal, he said.
Strosnider said the house was significantly damaged, and the family would not be able to live there. The occupants plan to stay with family members in town. The Red Cross will also be involved in helping the family.
Anyone wanting to help is encouraged to donate to the local Red Cross: 947-4357.