Federal officials have taken over the case of two Eastern Oregon men severely injured when a homemade bomb exploded earlier this month.
Travis Johnson, Malheur County undersheriff, said Friday that the matter has gone to the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Calls to the ATF's Boise and Portland offices were not immediately returned.
Both men were hospitalized following the blast.
Mark Brinton, 59, is still in serious condition at Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center in Boise. Drex Brooks, 60, has been released from a Portland hospital.
"The big question that really needs to be answered is why do they have these devices and what were they planning to do with them?" Sheriff Brian Wolfe said shortly after the incident occurred on April 14.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.