Fire officials seek information on fires in Boise State parking garage

April 21, 2013 

Eight small fires were set Sunday afternoon in various parts of the Lincoln Parking Garage at Boise State University, according to Boise police. Investigators say the apparent arson is similar to incidents reported in the Lincoln and Brady garages in October.

Sunday, the fires included the contents of two trash cans on the fifth floor of the Lincoln Garage, melting the plastic receptacles but causing no damage to the building.

Responding firefighters also found burning paper in all of the garage stairwells, said Boise Fire Battalion Chief Steve Rasulo.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 3:50 p.m. The Lincoln Parking Garage is across the street from the Student Union Building at 1910 University Drive.

Rasulo said there were no witnesses to the arson, and there are no cameras in the garage that might have recorded the incident.

Police and fire officials ask that anyone with information about the fires or possible suspects call Campus Security and Police Services at 426-6911, or Crime Stoppers at 343-COPS. You can also

If you have any information about the fires or possible suspect(s), please contact the Campus Security & Police Services at (208) 426-6911 or call Crime Stoppers at 343-COPS (343-2677).

If you would like to report anonymously, you can submit an online Silent Witness report here.

Other Fires

Firefighters were already at BSU when the call came in about the trash cans on fire. Earlier, at 3:16 p.m., they were called to a fire alarm in the Interactive Learning Center building. A minor appliance fire in one of the restaurant areas had tripped the alarm.

That was the second cooking-related fire they responded to Sunday afternoon. At 2:31 p.m., residents at apartments on Colby Lane reported seeing smoke coming out of a neighbor's window.

Firefighters entered the apartment and found an unattended pot on the stove, Rasulo said. No one was home, and the burner had been left on.

"It was on fairly high. The contents had started to burn," Rasulo said.

There was no damage to the kitchen. The residents returned home while firefighters were still there, Rasulo said.

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service