One Boston bombing suspect dead; search continues for second

April 19, 2013 

BOSTON — One of the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings was killed early Friday morning after leading police on a wild chase following the fatal shooting of a campus police officer, while the other was sought in a massive manhunt that shut down large parts of the area. Gov. Deval Patrick of Massachusetts said residents of Boston and its neighboring communities should “stay indoors, with their doors locked.”

The two suspects were identified by law enforcement officials as brothers from Chechnya. The surviving suspect was identified as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge, Mass., a law enforcement official said. The one who was killed was identified as his brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26. Authorities were investigating whether the dead man had a homemade bomb strapped to his body when he was killed, two law enforcement officials said.

The manhunt for the surviving bombing suspect sent the Boston region into the grip of a security emergency: Residents of the city and the surrounding area were urged to stay indoors, as hundreds of police officers conducted a manhunt and all public transit services were suspended.

Col. Tim Alben of the Massachusetts State Police said investigators believed that the two men were responsible for the death of Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer and the shooting of an officer with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, the region’s transit authority.

“We believe these are the same individuals that were responsible for the bombing on Monday at the Boston Marathon,” he said.

Officials said the two men were from Chechnya, a long-disputed, predominantly Muslim territory in southern Russia that fought two bloody wars in the 1990s against Russian authorities.

The family lived briefly in Makhachkala, the capital of the Dagestan region, near Chechnya, before moving to the United States, said a school administrator there.

Early Friday, a virtual army of heavily armed law enforcement officers was still going through houses in Watertown, outside of Boston, one by one in a search for the second suspect. Police had blocked off a 20-block residential area and urged residents emphatically to stay inside their homes and not answer their doors.

Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis said: “We believe this to be a man who’s come here to kill people, and we need to get him in custody.”

Idaho Statesman is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service