This "Mad Men"-era church was built between 1958 and 1960. Boiseans may know it by its other name, "Cathedral of the Rockies."
The congregation recently welcomed a new addition - a set of "herald" trumpets for its existing pipe organ. The trumpets, long pipes that extend horizontally from the wall, will increase the size of the organ that is already the largest of its kind in the state. They also will increase its volume. No other church in the state has similar trumpets.
Congregation member Lavaughn Wells gave the trumpets in memory of her late husband, David Wells, founder of the Blue Thunder Marching Band at Boise State University.
The church will celebrate with a public concert and dedication on May 3.
The church's publicity team came up with the term "herald" trumpets because they wanted to help people visualize the rows of long, flared horns used to mark the arrival of royalty, said congregation member Sue Myers.
The church, though new in historic terms, is home to a far older congregation: It began meeting in 1872, less than a decade after the city's founding.
The building is "cruciform" or cross-shaped. As the Banner Bank is a modern interpretation of Art Deco style, First United Methodist is a modern take on Gothic style.
When the church underwent renovation some years ago, the local quarry that provided the original sandstone reopened so the additions would match.
The church's stained glass windows include notable figures like George Washington, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee and others not usually associated with religious imagery. Each had a tie to the Methodist religion.
Mark your calendars: The public is invited when the congregation hosts a concert to dedicate the herald trumpets, 7:30 p.m., May 3, 717 N. 11th St. Three organists will play a variety of music, including a Beatles tune.
Anna Webb: 377-6431