After a second alarm was called around 6 p.m. Tuesday for a house fire at 18876 Karcher Road in Caldwell, crews from multiple Treasure Valley departments were able to extinguish the fire and save the home.
According to Caldwell Fire Department Battalion Chief Bud Bryson, the homeowner - and single occupant - had been burning debris such as grass and twigs during the past few weeks. Firefighters believe a spark landed on the roof and set the roof ablaze. Bryson said the fire burned up the peak of the roof to the chimney. Most of the contents of the home are fine, Bryson said.
The occupant was not home when the fire started. Passersby reported it on their cellphone.
Bryson said the location of the home in proximity to Caldwell's stations offered a challenge, so multiple crews stepped in to offer assistance, including firefighters from Nampa, Marsing, Homedale and Middleton.