A Caldwell family was displaced Saturday by an attic fire that was determined to have been caused by an electrical overload or short, according to Caldwell Fire Battalion Chief Brad Carico.
The fire was reported at 10:23 a.m. Saturday by the residents of a house in the 1200 block of East Elgin Street in north Caldwell. The family evacuated safely before firefighters arrived, and no one was injured.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the attic, but they did have to breach a wall. Four rafters in the roof were damaged, and they had to pull out a big chunk of the ceiling. Most of the contents of the home was saved, but the tenants were displaced.
"To make the house habitable again, they're going to have to bring everything up to current building codes," Carico said of the house, which dates back to the 1940s.
The two adults and child were provided housing and other assistance from the Caldwell Fire Burnout Fund and the American Red Cross.