The original "Winged Victory of Samothrace" is a second century B.C. marble sculpture of Nike, the Greek goddess of victory. Lost for centuries and rediscovered in 1863, it's on display at the Louvre Museum in Paris.
Idaho's own copy is on display on the fourth floor of the Idaho State Capitol Building.
The statue arrived in Idaho in 1949 on the "Merci Train."
After World War II, the people of France sent gifts to the capital cities in each state in the U.S. to thank Americans for the food, medicine, fuel and clothing aid they sent during the war.
Idaho's boxcar of gifts included Nike.
Anna Webb: 377-6431