Caldwell Fire officials say a fire which destroyed a trailer home on Farmway Road Monday morning appears to have been ignited by residents who used a propane heater to thaw frozen pipes.
None of the people at the home, located in the 2700 block of Farmway Road, was hurt in the blaze but a few firefighters slipped in the icy conditions, officials said Monday morning.
The first reports of the fire came into Canyon County dispatchers just after 6:30 a.m. Monday.
Middleton and Caldwell fire crews got there first and found an active blaze underneath the home.
Crews from Nampa, Star, and Wilder fire departments also helped put out the blaze.
The home was a total loss, officials said Monday morning. Caldwell fire officials say it was the second fire they had to go to over the last two days started by people trying to thaw out frozen pipes.
The National Weather Service reported a low temperature at the Boise airport of -3 around 6 a.m., which made it the coldest day in the Treasure Valley since Dec. 2009. There are temperature fluctuations all over the Treasure Valley, so it is possible it got even colder in rural Caldwell overnight.