The cause of a cooking fire that temporarily displaced two people in Caldwell Friday was caused by an unattended bottle of cooking oil left too close to a stove burner, Fire Captain Trent Price said Sunday. The bottle melted, igniting a fire.
No one was injured in the fire, which was reported just before 4 p.m. in the 1900 block of Santa Clara Drive. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the kitchen of a unit in the duplex, but there was smoke damage throughout.
Caldwell Mayor Garret Nancolas, who lives near the duplex, went into the burning building to urge a resident to evacuate and help her get pets out, Price said. The damage to the duplex and contents was estimated to be about $7,000.