Blame GOP, not Obama for economic mess
I am sick and tired of people complaining about President Obama being re-elected, especially comments made by Bob Vincent (letters, Nov. 23). I have a suggestion for all of those who share his view. If you don't like the people's choice then move somewhere else where they dont allow their citizens to enjoy the freedoms that we enjoy.
Prove to me that President Obama wants us to be a socialist country. He is not blaming Bush for another four years. Nowhere in his campaign did he ever mention it. Loss of jobs is from Congress, not President Obama. And if you want to blame someone, blame the Republicans for voting against anything good President Obama tried to do. Blame Republicans for the fiscal cliff, and by the way, if the states want to secede from the union, they have to get permission from Congress, not President Obama. Think what will happen if the states are allowed to secede. You think there is large unemployment now, and welfare recipients large, then think, think.
CHRIS HITESMAN, Meridian
Facts dont support anti-Obama sentiment
The volume of disinformation in Bob Vincents letter was stunning.
Fact: We've added 4.5 million private sector jobs under Obama compared to 3 million lost in last four months of Dubya. Obama losses came from draconian cuts in government jobs under Republican governors.
Fact: Obama is neither anti-colonial nor socialist, but rather a moderate who believes in capitalism with rules. Pay little attention to the musings of disgraced Obama-hater Dinesh D'Souza.
Fact: Obama is pro-choice, not pro-abortion.
Fact: The U.S. spends more on military than the next 19 largest nations combined. Cutting here is mandatory.
Fact: $716 billion is a reduction in the future growth of Medicare spending due to savings, not a slashing of current budget.
Fact: This first family has taken fewer than half the number of first term vacation days as did Bushie and Pickles.
Fact: S&P pointed directly at Republican obstructionism and hostage taking of debt ceiling in their U.S. credit downgrade.
Fact: The Dow Jones was at 7,900 when Bush mercifully left the building. It has nearly doubled during Obamas first four years.
Fact: The free phone program was originated under Reagan and expanded under Junior. Obama had nothing to do with it.
JOHN R. LOVE, Boise
Bad economy was in place when president took office
In response to Bob Vincents top 10 reasons why we made a big mistake by re-electing President Obama:
1) It is ignorant to say that the very day Obama was first elected, jobs began disappearing in droves. The economy was already in the midst of the great recession. When the recession ended in 2009, it took several months before layoffs ended and hiring began. After that, jobs have continually been added.
2) Calling Obama anti-colonial is another code phrase for not an American.
3) Money has not been cut from the military.
4) Medicare has not been raided to pay for Obamacare. Obama does want to cut wasteful spending.
5) Obama doesnt blame Bush enough for the near ruin he caused this country.
6) Bush took 1,020 days vacation during his two terms of office. Obama has taken 78 so far.
7) We got a credit rate drop because Congress refused to act on the debt ceiling.
8) If Obama were a socialist he would not have bailed out banks and corporations.
9) The stock market is doing better than under any other president.
10) No one is pro-abortion. He is pro-choice. Abortions are down 5 percent during his administration.
ANDREA WITMER, Nampa
A scientific connection?
I have been hearing about scientific studies from the cancer journal of epidemiology linking breast cancer to abortion because of the hormones produced during a pregnancy. This scientific study needs to be looked into. Has anyone heard of this study? It advises it triples the chances of breast cancer in women.
DALE GERARD, Boise