1. Boise State: The Broncos get the benefit of the doubt on history, but they could be challenged this year.
2. Nevada: QB Cody Fajardo should be fun to watch as he gains experience.
3. Fresno State: QB Derek Carr should have gawdy stats, but can the Bulldogs win close games for a change?
4. San Diego State: This is where the league races gets muddied. An experienced QB helps the Aztecs.
5. Air Force: The Falcons are rebuilding, but the program has been too consistent to expect an ugly record.
6. Wyoming: Coach Dave Christensen will become a hot coaching commodity if he produces another bowl trip.
7. Hawaii: The Warriors might want to reinstall the run-and-shoot for USC.
8. Colorado State: The Rams could be regular contenders in this league after a couple of years under Jim McElwain.
9. UNLV: The Rebels opened against Minnesota on Thursday night. The game was in progress at press time.
10. New Mexico: Coach Bob Davie left a cushy TV job for this?