One resident of a Canyon County home suffered minor injuries Tuesday afternoon, when he ran into the burning house to try to retrieve personal items before the fire engulfed it, said Nampa Fire Deputy Chief Doug Strosnider. The man, who suffered a cut, was treated by paramedics at the scene.
The fire was reported at about 4:30 p.m. on Madison Street, between Cherry Lane and Birch Lane. The home is just north of Nampa city limits.
Strosnider said one of the residents was doing welding work on a semi behind the house when the fire occurred. Investigators aren't yet sure precisely where the fire started it's unclear if the welding sparked flammable materials in the semi, or if sparks caught the grass on fire.
When the resident noticed the fire, he ran to get a hose, Strosnider said. But the fire spread too quickly for him to extinguish it, so he ran to his house to get his young child out.
Strosnider said diesel fuel in the semi caused the fire to spread fast. It burned to a nearby car port, destroying as many as 10 vehicles, including snowmobiles, motorcycles and cars.
The fire spread to the house within a minute of the arrival of firefighters. Fire crews from Meridian and Caldwell provided assistance. Firefighters had to physically stop one of the residents from running into the burning house to retrieve items, Strosnider said.
There were several explosions as the fire spread, including one that occurred before the roof of the house collapsed. No other structures in the area were threatened by the fire.
Some personal items in the house may be recovered by the family, but the structure and vehicles were a total loss, Strosnider said. The estimated loss was more than $200,000.
The family that was living in the house was renting. Strosnider said their relatives arrived to provide some assistance.